Sunday, December 1, 2013

What is an Arc-Alaskan?

Hello, blogosphere.  My name is Danny Robb, and I'm a Welding and Algebra I  teacher in Ketchikan, Alaska.  My wife and I call ourselves  "Ark-Alaskans" because we moved here last year from Northeast Arkansas.   I am the owner/operator of Camco Machine Works, my family's welding and machine shop.   My father founded the business in 1976.  I've been welding since I was very young, hence the play on words with "Arc" in the blog title.  Below is an aerial shot of the Camco shop.  You'll notice it's surrounded by the Robb family farm.  Those are rice fields you see in the background.


As you can imagine, moving from rural, land-locked Arkansas to Ketchikan on Revillagigedo Island in Southeast Alaska created quite the culture shock for my wife and me.  We have enjoyed our Alaskan adventure thus far.  This year is my second year to teach at Ketchikan High School and I am really enjoying my new career path.



I am enthusiastic about sharing my lifetime of welding experience with the next generation here in the Ketchikan Gateway Borough.  I know that welding is a vital job skill for Alaska's economy, and I enjoy turning out welders with the basic skills they need to enter the job force or more advanced apprenticeships.  I've also found that welding in a rainforest climate is much more enjoyable than the Arkansas heat!

1 comment:

  1. I never thought about it being more comfortable to weld in SEAK, but now that you mention it that makes sense. I hope you continue blogging! (Is this going to be your website for the tech class? I made mine a blog too.)

    ReplyDelete